Top 10 Movie Moments: Movie Kisses (As voted by you)
Written by Hannah R., (Age 17, UK)
All girls alike dream or fantasize about that first, perfect kiss; the one that gets you giddy with butterflies or feeling like you’re on cloud 9 or even as if the whole world stops for just 10 seconds. Every girl will remember her first kiss, but what about the others that come after it? What about those romantic, feet-sweeping-off-the-floor moments that you see in the movies and only wish for that moment to be yours? As voted by the Portrait Magazine readers, I present you with the results of the Top 10: Movie Kisses. Prepare for a lot of “awwws” and sighs.
#10. John & Jane Smith (Mr & Mrs Smith)
When the whole debate of “are-they” or “aren’t-they” started, Brad and Angelina were just Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Now, five years down the line with their new nickname “Brangelina”, the kiss they shared in Mr & Mrs Smith is still arguably the best part of the movie. After John and Jane realise who their other half is, an intense fight scene filled with guns and shattering glass ends with a steamy encounter between the two characters. They steal the scene with their undeniable and saucy chemistry, completely forgetting what they were even fighting for in the first place.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith: Already Gone Fanvid
#9. Holly & Gerry (P.S I Love You)
Like me, most girls that saw this movie for the first time still hoped that Gerry would be alive, even though we all knew what would happen. There are soo many different emotions a viewer goes through in this film. Empathy towards Holly, who lost the love of her life, laughter at Gerry’s “Mustang Sally” karaoke, joy for Holly when she finally moves on, heartache as she imagines what Gerry would say to her after her fling and of course, warmth whenever we see Gerry “come back” to Holly as he gives his Irish wisdom. The kiss they share when they first meet in Ireland is soft and sweet and the audience knows that both characters would remember it forever.
#8. Leia Skywalker & Han Solo (The Empire Strikes Back)
The second oldest kiss in the Top 10, but not the most forgettable. We all wanted the feisty, strong-headed Leia to find love and the signs pointed towards Luke. But after finding out Leia and Luke were in fact, brother and sister, an unlikely, charming man took her by surprise. Han and Leia’s love story was the most gripping storyline in Star Wars. I’m sure most people will remember the agonizing cliff hanger of Empire Strikes Back and not knowing the fate of Han Solo. Unfortunately, their kiss is interrupted but plenty more affection between these two characters which continues in the third and final film.
Han and Leia
#7. Scarlett O’Hara & Rhett Buttler (Gone With The Wind)
Although this movie has many notable kisses, the most memorable and romantic scene is when Rhett heads for the American Civil war and asks his love, Scarlett, for one last kiss to remember. At first, Scarlett is hesitant and resists him on more than one occasion throughout the film. But they find their true love together in the end.
Gone With The Wind – Stuck Fanvid
#6. Peter Parker & Mary Jane Watson (Spiderman)
The most iconic (and often spoofed), upside down kiss. The kiss that everyone talked about and the one everyone wanted to do. This kiss was the epitome of romantic kisses. The theme of Peter Parker’s uncertainty towards having a relationship with the one girl he loves is a gripping part in all Spiderman movies. Will he or will he not tell her? Can he keep his secret but still love Mary Jane the same? As for the rain, it makes this scene even more of an “awwww” moment in cinema history. Hats off to whoever came up with such a memorable kiss!
#5. Lady & The Tramp
Ok, so it’s only a cartoon, but it is still the cutest thing you have ever seen! Don’t lie and say you haven’t tried nuzzling over a meatball or meeting in the middle of a spaghetti. Not to mention the beautiful song “Bella Notte” that sets the scene. The idea of a perfectly groomed and polite Lady falling for the scruffy mutt is reflected in movies even to this day and plays a part of reality. The real message this movie sends to its viewers is that imperfection can be someone else’s perfection and you can find love in absolutely anyone.
Bella Notte – Lady and the Tramp
#4. Elizabeth Bennett & Mr. Darcy (Pride & Prejudice)
Ok, so this one is a bit of a cheat as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy only came very close to kissing. But the anticipation of that kiss is enough for you to sit on the edge of your seat and wonder if they will or won’t. Unlike the American alternative version with a kiss at the end of the movie, the real scene is full of yearning and dramatised for their obvious attraction and curiosity towards each other.
Pride and Prejudice – Rain Scene
#3. Allie Hamilton & Noah Calhoun (The Notebook)
The film that makes most girls weep ... and the majority of guys too. After waiting 7 years for Noah to come back for her, Allie passionately argues with him. We all know what happens next in this story as most passionate arguments don’t end with anything but the carried away, romantic kiss. The Notebook has become a cult, romantic drama and won Best Kiss at the MTV Movie Awards in 2005. As Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling enacted the kiss on stage, so far, no other MTV Best Kiss winners have been able to top it.
The Notebook – The Way I Love You Fanvid
#2. Rose DeWitt Bukater & Jack Dawson (Titanic)
Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt kiss a number of times in Titanic but the most romantic kiss in the film is under a glowing sunset on the prow as Jack whispers to Rose, “do you trust me”. Titanic, like The Notebook, will be one of those films you can’t stop watching and can’t stop crying to it every time too. Their unique bond and stolen moments (not to mention the element of forbidden love) make this movie magical and will always be remembered for its heartbreaking portrayal of young love.
Titanic – Kiss Of A Rose Fanvid
#1. Bella Swan & Edward Cullen (Twilight)
With a staggering 77% of your votes, the Twilight kiss came out as being the Top Movie kiss. I have a feeling this one will continue to be on the top lists of romantic movie moments for a very long time. After all, what better love is there then the love from an eternal (stud) vampire? Millions of people couldn’t wait to see how Bella and Edward's first kiss from the series of books would turn out on the big screen and it’s oblivious to see, most of you were very happy with it. MTV Movie Awards 2009 crowned the movie scene as the best kiss with millions of you guys voting. So, let’s see what all the fuss was about...
The Complete List
1. Twilight – Bella Swan (Kristen Stewart) and Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) – 77%
2. Titanic – Rose DeWitt Bukater (Kate Winslet) and Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio) – 3%
3. The Notebook – Allie Hamilton (Rachel McAdams) and Noah Calhoun (Ryan Gosling) – 3%
4. Pride & Prejudice – Elizabeth Bennett (Keira Knightley) and Mr. Darcy (Matthew Macfadyen) – 2%
5. Lady and the Tramp (16) – 1%
6. Spiderman – Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) and Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst) – 1%
7. Gone with the Wind - Scarlett O'Hara and Rhett Buttler (Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable) – 1%
8. The Empire Strikes Back – Leia Skywalker (Carrie Fisher) and Han Solo (Harrison Ford) – 1%
9. PS. I Love You – Holly (Hilary Swank) and Gerry (Gerard Butler) – 1%
10. Mr & Mrs Smith – John Smith (Brad Pitt) and Jane Smith (Angelina Jolie) – 1%
11. The Reader – Hanna Schmitz (Kate Winslet) and Young Michael Berg (David Kross) – 1%
12. Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet – Romeo (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Juliet (Claire Danes) – 1%
13. Ghost – Sam Wheat (Patrick Swayze) and Molly Jensen (Demi Moore) – 1%
14. Atonement – Cecilia Tallis (Keira Knightley) and Robbie Turner (James McAvoy) – 1%
15. Bridget Jones Diary – Mark Darcy (Colin Firth) and Bridget Jones (Renee Zellweger) – 1%
16. Dirty Dancing – Frances “Baby” Houseman (Jennifer Grey) and Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze) – 1%
17. Brokeback Mountain – Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) and Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) – 1%
18. Some Kind of Wonderful – Keith (Eric Stoltz) and Watts (Mary Stuart Masterson) – 1%
19. Never Been Kissed – Josie Geller (Drew Barrymore) and Sam Coulson (Michael Vartan) – 1%
20. Sixteen Candles – Samantha Baker (Molly Ringwald) and Jake Ryan (Michael Schoeffling) – 0%
21. Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Paul “Fred” Varjak (George Peppard) and – 0%
22. Pretty Women – Vivian Ward (Julia Roberts) and Edward Lewis (Richard Gere) – 0%
23. It’s A Wonderful Life – Mary Hatch Bailey (Donna Reed) and George Bailey (James Stewart) – 0%
24. Jerry Maguire – Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) and Dorothy Boyd (Renee Zellweger) – 0%
25. The Goonies – Mikey (Sean Astin) and Andy (Kerri Green) – 0%
Request a Top 10 Theme
Want your favourite moments of movies theme to be featured in a future 'Top 10...”? Request here.